Wednesday, March 28, 2012

LAST BRAAI: THE STABLES March 11/12 2012




Golden web  spider at home
I couldn’t go for a walk or a swim today. 35,000 cyclists were taking part in one of the largest cycling events in the world around the Peninsula and all roads to Kalk Bay were sealed off until after noon. The race is a challenging one over undulating countryside with some steep mountain climbs and is a little over 100 kilometres. First riders are away from the city centre at 06h30 and we heard the helicopter filming the overhead shots shortly after that as the route brings the cyclists down the freeway which is not far from the cottage. One of the natural hazards the riders often have to face is very stiff winds, but today it was still, but very hot – about 35°C (95°F) – and more than one hundred cyclists were hospitalised as a result. Madness I reckon.

Virtually trapped in the cottage, with only a golden web spider (and Rab) for company, I spent the morning catching up this blog, having fallen some days behind, swimming and relaxing as the temperature rose. There was no air-conditioning – just a ceiling fan, so I was not too comfortable. My heart problems and the associated medications mean, as my cardiologist says, that my internal thermostat does not work  too well. As the heat goes up I become enervated – I feel like those bunnies in the  Duracell advertisement as they gradually run out of power. I seem to sweat less too, so that a cooling breeze or a fan merely means circulating warm air over me, not allowing the cooling factor of condensation.

I had to venture out into the sweltering day after twelve when the roads were open again to get some rolls for the braai this evening – sadly the last here at the cottage as we are moving out tomorrow. I also had to  collect, hopefully, the beaded figures from Terence. There were no kornspitz rolls – our favourites – as the flour hadn’t arrived, so it was said. Terence was as good as his word however and we now have two reindeer and two matching angels to give the grandgirls for their Christmas tree.

Sue
Sue and Mike came around at fourish and we settled down to a good chat and an even better meal. It was kassler and wors again after the success of Friday’s meal and we had a good selection of wine from our foray into the country with Sue and Mike earlier in the week. A quite three bottle evening and early to bed after another swim.

A nice restful day, thanks to the riders.
 

MOVING TO THE STABLES Monday March 12

We moved today from the cottage to The Stables, the lovely B ‘n’ B run by our old friends Lola and Rick Bartlett  but before I started packing for the move I got my morning swim in.

As I drove off soon after 06h30 I passed dozens of smartly dressed women and men walking down the roads in the area. They had all got off the bus that stopped at the end of Strawberry Lane and were walking to the houses where they worked as housekeepers and gardeners. It often takes an hour or more to get from the areas where most of them live, so it makes for a long day for them. It is always a bit of a shock for us to realize that most of our contemporaries still have servants. It is many years since we had home-help!

Guinea making a run
As I headed down towards Muizenberg and Kalk Bay, I spotted a flock of guinea fowl feeding on the side of the road.  It is not unusual to spot these birds and I wonder how they survive in suburban areas where there is still so much poverty. Surely they would provide a reasonable meal for someone who may otherwise scavenge food from the trash cans of restaurants? Yet these people and the birds survive side by side. Maybe they are more difficult to catch than I might imagine.

Roadside vendors abound down here. They seem to have stopped selling plastic hangars – well we haven’t seen those in evidence – but black plastic rubbish bags are common lines, as are all manner of small craft items and licence disc holders, but also larger items – bean bag seats, cane furniture and so on. You can even get a new silencer fitted right there. I think the prize for the most unusual item is grass – not to smoke, but to lay down in the garden or yard. There is one spot where rolls of turf are readily available. The fact that the site is very close to a golf course always gets me wondering where the supplies come from – and another stray thought is – how do the purchasers move a reasonable quantity – it isn’t lightweight material.


Early morning at Dalebrook
The water was delightful as the tide was coming in and breaking over the pool wall sending up walls of spray. I managed to get one half decent shot of a couple of little brothers enjoying the game of balancing as the waves swept in.

Back to the cottage and we cleared the fridge of all the contents, finishing the fruit and sundry bits of sausage and chops on the “waste not, want not” principle. Then it was down to packing. Rab had packed most of her case while I was away, but it is incredible how much we seem to have accumulated in ‘extras’. Of course we weren’t packing as carefully as we will have to next week, but we landed up with a great number of packages as well as the two suitcases and the animals’ travelling box. The weather was hotting up with a forecast of over 33°C. The work of shifting all the goods got me sweating a bit more than usual so at least I felt a bit cooler in the gentle breeze.

Paying for our stay presented a bit of a problem initially as Judy, our hostess does not accept credit cards and of course we don’t carry large amounts of cash with us in foreign parts. The cost for the ten days we were there was R8,000 (A$1,000 or A$100 a day) which we felt was pretty reasonable, although many of our friends thought we were being somewhat extravagant.  The normal procedure would have meant using a bank transfer but those vultures charge so much for the service that I was reluctant to spend the best part of another day’s rent just to pay for what we had. It was far from clear if PayPal was yet operating in SAfrica which still has very complex foreign exchange regulations. My brother Steve said he thought that there was only one bank which offered the facility, but, as it  turned out, he was not correct. I tried sending A$100 through as a test and Judy received that, so I then sent her the balance. All done in a flash and at no charge. When will the banks get the message? I guess when more people use PayPal more often.

The Stables
Unloading the luggage at The Stables used less effort as Oscar the gardener was on duty and carried the heavier items. He is from Malawi and smiled when I greeted him in his own language – which is about the limit of my knowledge. The pool, which is just outside the door of our room beckoned after we had unpacked and I thought I could have a quick dip before heading back to Kalk Bay for lunch with my brothers. What a shock to the system to find that the water was warmer than I’d run a bath. Rick has  solar heating which he does not turn off even in summer as, it is said, his guests who are mainly British like the warm water. OMG! Not for me. I quickly had a cool shower which was much more refreshing.

Off to Live Bait, one of the eateries in the Kalk Bay Harbour. I was amazed at how much traffic there was and how many cars were parked in the somewhat limited space available when I got there at a little after 12h30. the car guards were stacking the vehicles very tightly and I got a good spot, but was a little late in the end – about seven minutes in all. It says something for my reputation for promptness that the brothers thought something must have happened to me and even called Rab.




View of False Bay from our table
Overlooking the harbour - our house was  above the corner of the building
The restaurants around the harbour have spectacular views and an excellent reputation. On most days you can see the fish that will be served in the restaurants being landed from the fishing boats and that is part of the attraction. People milled around, some of them buying the fresh fish for their own kitchens, others just to see the sights. The seas had calmed down a little so we could have the windows open (at least until someone complained!) and it was very relaxing sitting there with the gentle wash of the waves on the rocks below. The purpose of the meeting was for the boys to get a full briefing on my current health status away from the womenfolk so that we could speak frankly. I always try to spell it out as clearly as I can, but some of the complexities can, at times, create a reaction that I have seen when Steve gets onto his genealogy subject. A somewhat glazed look would probably be the best description.  I had a very good salad as did Steve; I think we both envied Pad his excellent looking fish and chips which was certainly better looking and better value than Doyle’s in Sydney.

Back to The Stables for another shower – it really was a hot day – and a snooze. I’ve found that since my reference to heat being enervating doesn’t always ring a bell, I now use the analogy of the Duracell Bunny. My energy just drains away, leaving me feeling pretty lousy. The hotter it gets the quicker the process.

Fortunately I had enough energy incorporated from my nap to get into the bar where Rick offers drinks to his guests and where most of them gather in a wonderful atmosphere for  a chat before they go about their business for the evening. It is a good way of meeting the other guests and although the session is usually for about an hour, there have been times when that has been extended somewhat, especially when guests have brought in some of the wine they may have purchased when touring the vineyards. This was not one of those sessions however, so they dispersed in an orderly fashion, leaving us chatting with Lo and Rick about the almost half century that Rab has known them – I only met them 45 years ago, so I’m very much a Johnnie Come Lately.

I had assumed we would be going out for a meal and was somewhat taken aback by Rab saying that since I had lunch (she went out to lunch with Lola and Lorna and had a more substantial meal than I) and a good deal of biltong in the bar, we could make do on the scraps we had salvaged from the cottage. No point in arguing, so I fell in with her requirements and fell into bed to sleep soundly.

No comments: