Thursday, May 23, 2013

NEW ZEALAND CAMPING 2013: DAY #13



Wednesday May 1, 2013



Since there was no milk or sugar in the dining room for breakfast and we didn’t fancy toasting the frozen bread again, we packed up and headed out quite early, still without seeing or hearing anything from our landlady.



The trip to Auckland was under two hours  so we were a couple of hours early for our flight, which suited us. Plenty to time to fill the hire car tank – for once there were service stations near the terminals – drop the car off and check in. I dropped Rab off at the Departure terminal before I took the car, to save her walking. Just as well. As was the case in Christchurch, I had to walk from one end of the fairly lengthy terminal building where I had dropped the car to the other for the check-in desk. Then we had to go upstairs and walk back to about the same position I had entered the building – and go downstairs to the departure lounge. On the way we had a bite to eat – only McDonald’s but their Bacon and Egg McMuffins are, I think about the only product that is edible. Oh and the pancakes – we shared a serving.



The flight home on Qantas was the most uncomfortable I ever been on. There were no Business Class seats, no seats with extra leg room. The gap between the seats was so small that my knees touched the seat in front and there was not enough room for me to read a book. The seat itself was very uncomfortable because of its shape, intended no doubt to support the backs of those people who are shorter than me. And to add to the general discomfort, the cabin was uncomfortably warm. Staff and food were pleasant, but as I said to the hostie when she asked me if I had a good flight, I will never fly Qantas again if I can help it. They have joined British Airways and South African Airways on my list of “Airlines I’d Rather Not Use”.



It was great to be home, as it always is. We enjoy travelling very much, but miss the boys and our home comforts. The trip itself was a great success and I am sure that we’ll be doing more vanning around Australia, especially as we will be able to take the boys with us. Many campsites are happy  to have dogs. 

And there was another positive consequence. Away from the temptations which surround me in our pantry  cupboards, I actually lost a fair bit of weight. I’ll probably use that initial loss as the spur to lose more.

No comments: