Friday, July 12, 2013

1981 - Family Trip #1 - Disneyland Day 2



Sunday 12 April 1981 -  Disneyland



Matt and Rab riding the sky
Rab felt a bit better this morning, so we stuck with our original plan to get to Disneyland as early as possible to have the rides which we missed the day before due to the crowds. We were ultimately later at Disneyland than we had intended because the space shuttle, Columbia, was being launched at 07.00 this morning. We watched the launch on TV and then went outside and saw it lift off - it was about 30 miles away, but the contrail was very clear and we could just make out the rocket glinting in the sun. Quite a sight – it’s not often that you can share an historic moment. 

Matt and me with our Zimbabwe T-Shirts
We eventually got to Disneyland about 08.30, which was ideal, because it was still fairly cool and the crowds had not yet gathered. We went on the River Adventure, which was very good - probably the best ride of the lot - and then Rab and I went on Ole Thunder - a switchback railroad. I wasn't too keen on going and Matt refused point blank, but it was great fun.



Matt and Rab
After a couple of orange slushes, which gave Rab her first ice-headache, we went on to the Pirates of the Caribbean (which in fact we had gone on the day before and enjoyed very much) and then 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, which was a bit disappointing. Matt had a final ride - Snow White's Adventures - and we decided to call it a day because it was getting too hot and crowded. Our final trip was around the perimeter of the Magic Kingdom on the old Frontier Express - a lovely ride.



The car which we had hired was giving a bit of trouble, so we took it in and swopped it. The car people only had a Datsun in our price range, which I wasn't keen on, so they very kindly let me have a Chevrolet Citation, which was a six cylinder car, at the same rate.No problems with the park brake this time. I was glad because it was a much more comfortable car to drive. Anyway, from the car hire firm we went to Sea World, where I discovered that I had left my wallet in the old car. Not much money in it, but my credit cards were all there.



I phoned the place and they had found it and were trying to contact me, so that was a relief. Unfortunately, though, they were closing at 17.00, so we had to cut short our visit to Sea World. We just managed to see the end of the seal show and then saw the killer whale and dolphin shows. Both were incredible and I could have sat through them again. I missed a marvellous photograph at the dolphin tank of one very large American woman revealing her all as she bent over to try and touch  the dolphins. We have never got over how many gross Americans we keep seeing - and in the most revealing outfits!!



Having picked up my wallet, we nipped back to the hotel for a swim and to pick up our jerseys because, although it was 26/27°C during the day, in the evening it was quite cool. From there we went to a very pleasant Mexican Restaurant, since I was determined to have some Mexican food before I left the USA. It was a very pleasant place, like an open courtyard with a lot of greenery. The staff were very congenial and helpful and the food was good, but not as hot as I expected. 
Matt and me relaxing!!

From there, back to Disneyland to show Rab the evening shows. We got there early enough to have a couple of rides, including the Formula One racing cars, which Matt loved. Rab enjoyed the Electric Parade but, because we wanted to leave for Miami early next morning, we nipped off straight after the parade and watched the fireworks from the other side of the lake - they were even more spectacular from there than they had been the night before! I had a very silent crew on the way back to the hotel - both hog deep in swinish sleep.

No comments: