Saturday, June 29, 2013

1981 - Family Trip #1 - London/Bad Godesburg

 
I went to London on business and to attend a Management Course at Ashridge College near Birkhamstead. My journal for that part of the journey is business related, so this starts series starts at the end of that course ahead of meeting Matt and Rab in Germany.

We were still living in South Africa, waiting for the formalities to be completed before we moved to Zimbabwe. Exchange control regulations were such that we could not use credit cards outside South Afric and we were limited to a foreign exchange allowance of R10,000 each per annum. Most South Africans who travelled took their full allowance and deposited any unspent balance in  hard currency account, although this was illegal.  

The South African Rand and the Zimbabwe dollar were on a par. The rates against  US dollar and sterling were about R1.00:US$1.25 and about R1.00:£0.60p.

Saturday 28 March 1981 -  London/Bad Godesburg

Time rushed by at Ashridge and we had a lot of fun. I had to give the speech at the final dinner and everyone congratulated me afterwards, so I suppose it cannot have been too bad - at least it was short! Another course was finishing  on the same day as we were, so we had a combined dinner. I was glad I spoke first, because their speaker, who followed me, was very good indeed. We had a splendid PU after dinner, which finally broke up at about 03.30, with me and a chap called Bob Hancock assisting Malcolm Davies to the door of his room. After breakfast the next day - yesterday actually - I set off with John McNamara who had offered to take me to Heathrow since he didn't live far away at Gerrard's Cross.

It was a beautiful day and quite warm, so we drove with the sun roof open. It was the first really warm weather I had in England. Most of the time we were at Ashridge it was drizzling or over cast and it even snowed for two days - not heavily, but just enough to put down a thin layer, which melted quite quickly. There were a couple of days when it stopped raining when a bunch of us walked down to the local pub at Little Neasden and had lunch there which was a nice break. We also went for a walk of about 7 1/2 miles on the Sunday afternoon when we were confined to College for a working weekend. The weather didn't bother me, but I would have liked to see a bit more of the countryside, which was lovely and very English.

John took me back to his house to meet his wife, Marion. Their house was only built last year and was, I gather, rather expensive. The ceiling was so low that I could put my hand flat on it and the lights hit me about mid-forehead. Anyway, it was kind of him to give me a lift. After a cup of coffee, we went on to Heathrow and I got there about 12.00 - very early for my flight which only left at 14.05, but as there was a threat of union action, I didn't want to take any chances.

We got off almost on time - there was a bit of delay because only one runway was being used and we had to queue for about ten minutes. As we were right next to the runway, we had a very good view of the aircraft as they came in. I was on a British Airways Tri-Star, which was really scruffy on the outside and as tatty on the inside - makes you realise how clean SAA aircraft are. The departure lounge was a bit decrepit and I couldn't get a Coke or a fruit drink because they had run out! (I realise now, on reading this old entry that my poor view of British Airways has been there a long time.)

The flight was good and I had a nice view of the British and French coastlines as we crossed the Channel. It was lovely seeing Rab and Matt again. We took a taxi from the airport to Jan's house at Bad Godesburg. It is a lovely old place and has a marvellous view of the Rhine Valley. We had dinner at the local pub, just around the corner - typical German fare and delicious it was too. It was a lovely day yesterday and when we woke up this morning, it still looked promising, so after a nice Continental breakfast, we set off  for Bonn.

Matt meets the barrel organ
We started off by bus to Reinallee station on the tram line. We didn't have to wait long for the tram to start and, after cashing a  travellers cheque we set out for Rosenthals shop via all sorts of little shops on the way and an encounter with a barrel organ - a sure sign that Spring had arrived according to a passerby. We saw the organ grinder later in the morning, gazing with apparent admiration at a one-legged accordion player.

Matt with a propriety hand on the toy shop van
The weather remained mild all day and, apart from some minor disagreements as to purchases, we had a good time. We went to the toy shop, which Matt had already discovered - Poppet Koenigen - and I must say it was marvellous - better than Hamleys in London, but on a smaller scale. I tried out an Abby Dog from a sidewalk vendor and we also had some doughnuts (probably berliners as in "Ich bin ein Berliner" as JFK said to the amusement of the crowd) which were very nice. 

The family at Beethoven's House
We had lunch in an old pub near Beethoven's house and the meal was lovely - Matt and I shared a dish of marinated beef with potato dumplings (Reinische sauerbrauten mit kartoffelklosser) and Rab and Jan had a dish of beans and gammon with boiled potatoes. After lunch we wandered down to the river near Kennedy Bridge and caught a ferry across to the other bank, where we had an ice cream and a stroll and then just sat and watched the traffic on the river.

At the moment the river is flowing very strongly and is very high indeed - I reckon 10/15 feet above "normal", so the barges heading upstream were making rather heavy weather, whilst those going down were moving pretty rapidly. We were all a bit tired so we didn't go out for a meal - just had cold meat, cheese etc with some Pils. After supper, we sampled some liqueurs which I bought during the morning and decided that one - Cuja-Cuja, made from granadillas (passion fruit) - was well worth having.
Matt, Terry and Jan down by the river


No comments: