Tuesday, June 4, 2013

2008 ITALIAN ODYSSEY - Mountain Drive



Thursday September 25, 2008 – Mountain Drive

We checked out of the Hotel Riviera this morning with promises to return and a fond farewell from Gianni.  We were headed for Cortina and the snow line. The route we had chosen, (Map Here) with Gianni’s help had us moving pretty well up the  autostrada heading to the Brenner Pass and Austria and then getting on to the Via Gardena (S242) said by Gianni to be the most picturesque mountain road in Europe.

But…..before we could set off, I had my blood test to do. The doctor in Melbourne had recommended that I had the test because of the potential effect on my INR from the antibiotic I was still taking.  There was an ospedale in Gargnano which operated from 8 in the morning until 12 noon daily. Gianni had established that they could do the test, but that they required a doctor’s order. He obtained this from his own doctor for me.

I duly reported at the hospital, climbing the long staircase up from our level which probably dealt with a few of the calories I had absorbed during another wonderful breakfast on the hotel veranda. Have I mentioned the brioche with lemon cream already? If not, it was one of the best things I have ever eaten; warm from the baker over the road, light as a humming bird’s wing and filled with this delicious sweet/sour limone – just wonderful.
 
Last breakfast at Gargnano
Leaving the party to their second and third helpings, I headed uphill, as I say. Naturally no one spoke Inglese there, so I produced the note I had written in anticipation of this event. In English it said:

I need a blood test. I have heart disease and I take the medication Coumadin / Warfarin. The test is called, INR in English (International Normalized Ratio). I'm taking antibiotic drugs for my infected throat that can affect the test INR. Can you tell me where is a centre of pathology?” 

Babelfish had rendered it into Italian as:

Ho bisogno di un'analisi del sangue. Ho malattia di cuore e prendo il farmaco Coumadin/del Warfarin. La prova è denominata, nell'INR inglese (rapporto normalizzato internazionale). Sto prendendo le droghe antibiotiche per la mia gola infettata che può interessare la prova dell'INR. Potete dirmi dove un centro di patologia è?

They had a bit of a laugh but nodded their understanding and after filling in numerous forms and they gave me a test tube for the blood and a note in English – possibly translated by Babelfish saying I had to go to the Post Office to pay a fee of Є6.85. I had not noticed a post office in the village as we walked around, but established with broken language and gestures where it was and set off back down the long flight of steps. I bumped into the rest of the party who were stocking up with rolls, meat and cheese for lunch. I duly found the post office and paid my fee plus Є1.00 tax to a rather bored clerk and then dashed back to the hospital with my receipt. The nurses gave me a warm reception and introduced me to a young intern from Mali who took my blood sample very well. They told me the result would be available at 14.00 and gave me a number to call.

Corvara
All done then…. so I got the car out of the garage where we had parked overnight and headed down to the hotel to pick up the troops and we were finally on our way. We got onto the motorway and maintained a good speed until we were just outside Bolzano where there was some congestion from road works and heavy industrial traffic. It soon cleared and we were off on the road to Cortina. It certainly was spectacular from the word go with outstanding views. It was quite strange to see the change in architecture with the houses changing from the Italian style stone houses to the more Bavarian style wooden designs. The countryside was magnificent – steep and green – and when we stopped for our lunch break beside a little stream in Corvara we could see the mountains topped with snow. What a place for a meal – beats any restaurant in my book.


We had already been up some steep and winding roads but after lunch both the bends and the steepness increased. It was an amazing ride altogether made more so as we met several large tourist coaches along the way.
The picture does not really do justice to the twists and turns we encountered
How those drivers manage the hairpin bends is amazing. We had two close encounters with these monsters. One of these had us coming into a downhill left hand blind bend to find a coach on our side of the road! There was no other traffic so we were able to slip past on the wrong side of the road. Again we wondered what it would be like driving here in the height of the tourist season – or in winter!
 
The views were magnificent
We got closer and closer to the snow and then, as we topped one of the passes there were small flakes on the windscreen. Snow is always an exciting event for us, given our background of living in warm climates all our lives – I first saw snow when I was nineteen or twenty. It was melting as it hit the ground, but still it was snow.

There were so many lovely sights, it is difficult to recall them all, although the small chapel on a hillside was one of my best memories. Miles from anywhere that we could see, we wondered who built it, when and where did the congregation come from?

There was a slight shower of rain as we arrived in Cortina and we had to laugh because TomTom brought us into the town in a most peculiar way. We were persuaded to turn off onto what started as a reasonable road, but one that deteriorated into a narrow lane and ended up as a virtual goat track past farmhouses – and almost through them – before leading us back to the road we had been on. Taking the ‘straight line’ approach Tom had cut off a large bend, but added about  five minutes to the trip. I don’t know why he has this aberration from time to time but it can be disconcerting as we squeeze through alleys and archways designed for donkeys.

Although we knew that Cortina was essentially a winter resort, we were surprised to find that it was virtually a ghost town. Hardly any traffic or anyone in the streets. We finally found a bar that was open – the ladies were busting – public toilets being as scarce as hens teeth in Italy. We had a  cup of coffee and then were on our way again. I especially wanted to push on to somewhere that would be within a couple of hours drive of Loreggia as we were due there at noon to have a last meal with the Bastarolo family. The rain got heaver as we left the area and by the time we were getting into Belluna (via another tortuous TomTom route – we were clearly slow learners) it was raining pretty steadily.

Having made it to the piazza in the centre of the town, we asked a policeman there (who tried to move us along rather vocally) where the nearest hotel was – he pointed to one a block away, which we had just driven past, no doubt  mentally shaking his head at the stupidity of these darned tourists. Rab and Sue went in to inspect and negotiate a price. It turned out that there were only two rooms left – one at Є102 and the other a suite at Є120. Rab said we’d take them, although Sue wasn’t too happy as their budget was Є80 and she felt we shouldn’t take the first offer. I don’t often put my foot down, but I did then because I sure as heck didn’t want to start driving around the wet dark town – and, as I pointed out, Gargnano had been well under budget. Mike brought her around to our way of thinking before too long.

The room price included parking in the back yard of the hotel but by the time we got the car there ( a remarkable feat in itself!) most of the space was taken up by a gang of motor cyclists. The only  space available was a small one between an Audi and a Mercedes Benz 350 SLC. Going in I misjudged the turn and clipped the front bumper of the Mercedes with my right rear. I hope it looked worse than it was, because we pretended that it never happened.

It turned out to be a good decision – to take the room, not to scrape the Mercedes – because it turned out that there were very few hotels in town and none near where we had parked. The young lady on duty spoke quite good English and was good enough to call the hospital in Gargnano to get my INR number, which was OK. She also gave us directions to a local restaurant where we had a reasonable, but not good, meal. Rab had veal which seemed more like beef: I had pork which had been badly butchered so I kept getting splinters of bone. We shared a dish of spinach and carrots which had been cooked to RSL club standards i.e. overdone to almost a pulp. You can’t win them all – we have had mostly excellent meals until now.

And so to bed in our enormous suite – we could probably have had a party for twenty people in the lounge section

No comments: