Monday, August 26, 2013

1982 - Home Leave to England - to Birmingham via Glastonbury



Wednesday August 18, 1982 – To Birmingham

We woke amazingly late as the traffic outside our window was not nearly as heavy as I had expected it to be. It was pouring down and I got quite wet bringing the car around. It really was an odd set up at the pub and we had breakfast upstairs in the family living room. But it was comfortable.

We got off to a good start and before long the weather started clearing. As we were heading for Birmingham, we took the coastal road to Glastonbury. The scenery was again beautiful but quite different from that in Cornwall and Devon. The view of Porlock Bay was absolutely magnificent, as was so much of that area. The Porlock Hill Road with it’s 1:4 gradient was quite an experience too.

Glastonbury Abbey
The reason that we were making for Glastonbury was because I remembered younger brother Pad telling me that this was real  Hobbit country and that there were some interesting standing stones there. Well, it turned out that either Pad or my memory was wrong and I should have checked my Fodors first. Although to be fair, Roy had also thought that this was the area for standing stones. Anyway, what there is at Glastonbury, apart from the Tor, is the remains of an old Abbey. Matt and Rab had not the slightest interest in more old stones so while I looked around they browsed around the shops.

Once I read up the guide about the Abbey I realised why the name had stuck in my mind. It is all mixed up in the Arthurian legend and Avalon etc with even Jesus and Joseph of Arimathea reputed visitors. I was most impressed with the ruins as I always am because it is always awe-full to think of the effort and logistics that were required to put into these enormous buildings a thousand years ago. We had a very nice lunch at a little pub opposite the Abbey. Matt stuck to his Ploughman’s but Rab and I tried something a bit different. Steak and kidney pie for her and a pork pie for me. Excellent.

Onwards from there to Bath. Again my choice as I wanted to see the Roman baths again. Matt and Rab were both asleep when we got there and I nearly went straight through but then thought I could at least see the baths while the other two slept on. What a mistake! The traffic was incredibly heavy and the signposting very poor. Rab, having woken up to the dulcet sounds of my swearing finally asked a Traffic Warden who gave us very good directions to the nearest parking garage. That was full and there was a queue about half a mile long. At this stage I gave up and headed North.

We got on to the M5 which is a very nice bit of road and we were able to keep up a high average speed – the views weren’t as good of course. While there were three lanes the traffic flowed very well with the right hand lane being left clear for overtaking. It was not so good when it narrowed to two lanes as the heavy lorries tended to cling to the outside lane.

The weather cleared nicely as we got closer to Birmingham and Bob’s clear instructions got us to his house very easily. (Bob was another of the group I had met at Ashridge the previous year). Bob’s elder daughter was at home. I went off with her to the local off licence to get a few beers and some wine and then just sat around chatting until Bob and Pauline got home at about 18.30. Rab was getting more and more long faced with what she saw as a typically cheeky teenage girl and the fact that it became apparent that the family were somewhat disorganised. That all changed as the evening progressed and she got on like a house on fire with Pauline and Bob. The younger daughter arrived during the evening from London but she didn’t impress Rab either.

Our beds were very comfortable although Pauline had warned Rab that her bed was propped up on a pile of books.

No comments: