Wednesday, August 7, 2013

1982 - Home Leave to England - Bad Godesburg



Wednesday August 11, 1982 – Bad Godesburg



I have never written up this journal so early in the evening, so the narrative may suffer on two counts:



1)       Matt and Rab are still up and about and talking to me and

2)      I had a beer and a bottle of wine for supper and am now sipping ein Tirolen Spezialtat Zirler Goas cocktail with my coffee.


We decided today that if the flat in London was available we would leave tomorrow as funds are getting low and we didn’t really want to spend three days here and in Frankfurt. (One of the many advantages of working as an expatriate was the [limited] use of the company flats in London on home leave. Theatre tickets were often supplied too.) So, on the basis that we would likely be going, we decided to go up Drachenfels first thing, weather permitting. I woke up as usual at about sixish but as the other two were still asleep I left them lying in until about 07.30. when I peered out of the window it looked fine, but after breakfast – usual German rolls, cheese and wurst – it had clouded over.



Koningswinter
The hotel manager and I felt it would clear, so we set off. First we caught a bus, by the skin of our teeth for Mehlen Fahre and then got the car ferry across to Koningswinter. After a couple of stops for nagel for my stock we got to the railway station. Rab and Matt rode in style, but I went up on foot. I just missed them at the halfway mark, having had a head start of about seven minutes, finally making it to the top in a bit under thirty minutes. I enjoyed the exercise thoroughly.

 
A bit hazy

It was still hazy when we got to the top so we still do not have any shots from up there of the river and surrounding countryside. A pity because the views are terrific. All three of us walked down and had a few laughs at some of the sights coming up – a wide variety of dress, from formal business suits to motor cycle leathers and boots. We had to make way for a gold Rolls Royce! Once down we made our way to the waterfront and after a wait of only ten minutes caught a train into Bonn. We soon recognised landmarks and made our way to Rosenthals to get Jan’s number in London. (We had stayed with Jan the previous year when she was working for Rosenthals in Bonn. Since then she had been promoted to a job in London.)



From there we headed to the post office where we managed to get the London office number and to get through to Phil Foster’s secretary. She confirmed that the flat would be available tomorrow. So we went on to the Lufthansa offices to change our bookings – very nice helpful people there and no problems with the change. (It is interesting to reflect that there was never a charge for changed bookings – quite a difference from the current position.) While Matt and Rab went on to the pub where we had eaten that delicious Rheinische Sauerbraten last year I went on for a final bout with KD about our refund. I had already spoken to their resident idiot at Koningswinter that morning who just shrugged his shoulders helplessly. What a contrast in Bonn! The dear old lady gave me back the DM 42 without demur.



I rejoined Rab and Matt at the pub at about 14.15 with my tail up after my victory only to find that 
(a) the pub was closing at 14.30 and 
(b) Rheinische Sauerbraten was a Saturday special and 
(c) none of us had my camera bag! 

Rapid deflation from my euphoria. I nipped back to Lufthansa to try to retrieve my bag while Matt and Rab went to Kaufhof in the main square. My bag was safe and sound at Lufthansa and I joined them there and we had a very nice Bratwurst und Brodchen while discussing our next course of action.



Because we were leaving our bags at the station, Rab and I needed new shirts which we bought at Horte. Matt had a look at the toys there and at Poppenkoning, picking up a couple of Star Wars characters. He really wanted an ATAT but at DM269 (US$120) felt it was beyond his means. After we had all met up again we made our way back to Bad Godesburg by U-bahn. The two of them had a final look and buy at the local shops before we had our evening meal at the local pizzeria. I objected to the venue on the grounds that it was not ethnic food but was overruled. Very good food: not bad wine.

No comments: