Saturday, January 4, 2014

1984 - Solo to Kenya and Seychelles: Mahe Day 2



Monday 30 April 1984 – Mahe #2

We all left bright and early at 08.00 on the busses to go to the conference. I had of course got up at about 06.30 for an early morning swim – like a warm bath it was. Chrystal clear too and no waves – just what Rab would love. I didn’t have breakfast, just an excellent cup of coffee.

The journey to the conference centre, which is right on the other side of the island, took about an hour as we had to pick up other people from the next door hotel – Beau Vallon. The road is narrow and bumpy and full of twists and turns. Definitely not Matt’s scene, especially in a bus. I think he might enjoy it in a Moke with the top down.

The opening session of the conference was not bad and after that we all went for lunch at the Reef Hotel. I was glad that I had decided not to stay there because, as the name implies, it is right on a reef so there are no beaches handy and it is very exposed. The food was excellent and spicy and included items such as octopus, sausages in lentils, pawpaw chutney and curried “flying foxes” – i.e. fruit bats. The legs of these were served looking like small chicken legs – or large frog’s legs and I had to laugh at one of the British gentlemen in his three piece suit reacting in horror when I explained what they were. He wasn’t too keen on the octopus either.
 
A corral of Mokes ready for hiring
I was restrained and had small servings of octopus and fruit bat with salads and half a spoon of rice. After lunch we all embussed again and began the long trek home. It was as hot as hell and I couldn’t wait to get into the sea. I also decided to hire a Moke to avoid the awful business of sitting on the bus waiting for stragglers. It will cost me about $75.00 for three days and will, I think be worth it.
 
Walking along the beach at Beau Vallon
Having had my cooling swim I decided to go parasailing. Richard Scholl, the Swiss Re man I had met in Zurich had told me it was available, although at this stage I hadn’t seen anyone go up. Off I went and agreed with the Creole lads who were in charge of the boat and parachute to take a flight. I must admit to a little trepidation as I got into the harness, which barely fitted. Once I was all rigged up and hitched to the boat it headed off and I ran flat out across the beach until I was lifted by the chute like a kite. Of course with my weight, I almost didn’t get off but I was soon high above the water – and what a lovely view I had.
 
Flying high above Beau Vallon
The normal ride had the boat towing the flyer along the length of the bay to the corner of the bay where there is a gap in the hills. The wind blows through this gap and provides an additional lift before the boat turns to go back down the bay to the beach where you slowly drift back to land. Unfortunately in my case the engine of the boat stalled at this point and with the additional pressure of the wind, I started pulling the boat out to sea – and lifting it's stern.

To stop this, the crew took the simple step of freeing me from the boat by untying the tow rope. The result of this action was that I descended at a fairly rapid rate – and backwards too. Once I hit the water the strength of the wind kept the parachute from collapsing, so there I was being dragged out to sea on my back towards the island of Silhouette. I released myself from the harness just as they got the boat started and came hurtling after me, full of concern. I declined either to pay them or to take up their offer of another ride. If time had permitted I would have gone up again but this time I would have used the Beau Vallon Hotel equipment which seemed much superior.

A 'normal' landing - unlike mine.
I set off a bit of a trend with the conference people and most of those staying in our part of the island having a ride. All available windsurfers were out so I could not do any board riding so I just swam and sunbathed until it was time to get ready for the dinner, which was to be a fish barbecue at the Beau Vallon, next door. The bus was a little late, so I walked along the beach whilst the others waited, including a couple from Kenya – the Foxes. She was a real pain in the arse expatriate wife. Always moaning about something while swanning it on expenses.

It was a very good party with some terrific fish, including shark and octopus and once again I ate carefully. I fell among thieves somewhat as far as drinking was concerned however and we landed up having a very happy time indeed. There was an excellent local band and towards the end of the evening they were playing the local “Sega” music which is terrific, rather like the carnival music from Rio in many ways. Of course there was a shortage of women but I had a couple of dances with the women who were organising the conference and who were all employed by the State Insurance Company. The husband of one of the girls was the rhythm guitarist and the lead singer – a very nice chap. There are some very formalised steps in the Sega and I found it rather difficult at first, but enjoyed it.

After the pub closed I walked back to the hotel with a couple of the lads and then crashed after another good day.

No comments: