Saturday, January 11, 2014

1984 - Solo to Kenya and Seychelles: Mahe by Moke



Wednesday 2 May 1984 – Mahe #4

Slept like a log last night and although my cold is still a darned nuisance I feel much better. I decided I would explore the South and Western parts of the island. Lars decided to join me.

So we took all our swimming gear with us to the conference and on the way, after confirming our flights at Kenya Airways office in Victoria I hired a snorkel, mask and flippers from the Reef Hotel. They were free to guests so I only had to pay a refundable deposit. There was a lot of concern about the Kenya Airways flight because they were confirming all bookings without referring to any kind of records. Whilst I was pretty certain that we would all get on, I would have been happier to know definitely.

We stayed at the conference for the first session but then left before the panel discussions started knowing what it was likely to be with endless, repetitive, boring statements being made, but very little discussion. 

Me and the trusty Mini Moke
Since we were very hot we made straight for the beach and reef at Anse Royale just near the conference centre. We were soon in the water, sharing the goggles. We didn’t go right out to the reef but saw many lovely fish anyway. We had started to head back to the beach when I saw a policeman standing by our goods. I thought I must have parked incorrectly, but when I got to him he told me that we should never leave anything unattended as there were “bandits” about.

Palms and white sand - irresistable.
After a brief stop in the village to pick up some bread and cheese for our lunch – we could not get a beer because they are only sold after 14.00 – we headed down to the Southern part of the island. What a beautiful drive it was too. The scenery is too pretty for words – lovely white beaches glimpsed through the palms; waves crashing down on granite outcrops; green jungley growth everywhere. Crossing over to the Western side we had a bite to eat at a little beach where there were some pretty big waves coming in as it faced directly into the wind which blows from the south east at this time of the year.

On we drove stopping at the house of a painter, Paul West, who has been living in the Seychelles for the past twelve years. I didn’t enquire about the costs of his works because it was all abstract, although having said that I did like some of it. By now it was past 14.00 so we bought a couple of beers and finished off our lunch in the shade of a tree at Anse la Bouche, a lovely sheltered bay where there were a number of beach cottages for hire. The Faux and Pitman parties are staying there. It is ideal for a family because the water is so safe.
Anse la Bouche

We pressed on after lunch and had a good look at the three hotels on this side of the island. All looked very nice but they were exposed to the south easter and were very windy. None of them had beaches either. There is no doubt that, at this time of the year anyway, Beau Vallon Bay where we are staying is the best place to be and I think the Coral Strand may be the best hotel. We stopped for a magnificent ice cream at the Equator Hotel – a sort of parfait with coconut and mango and Cointreau – delicious.
 
The view from the Equator Hotel
After going as far as we could to the North, through a very large mangrove swamp as a matter of fact, we were stopped by some uniformed girls and told we could go no further. It seems that a National Youth Service camp has been established in the reserve in the north of the island. On our way back we passed a troupe of girls jogging in step singing what were presumably revolutionary martial songs. We also saw another platoon being drilled by a couple of sergeants in uniform so perhaps the place is not as peaceful as it looks.

We got back to Victoria via the San Souci road which winds its way up to the peaks above the town before descending into the town itself. Some really good views on the way. We almost had an accident on the way down when a crazy Seychellois was on our side of the road. Fortunately he saw us in time. They are not the world’s greatest drivers I must say.

We got back to the Coral Strand about 17.00 in time for a swim and a quick drink – grapefruit juice for me – before packing and getting ready to go across to the Reef Hotel for the farewell dinner. There was also a cocktail party at the British Embassy but I never received an invitation, which suited me just fine. Lars and some of the others were all for wearing suits since the dinner was the final function, but luckily for them I persuaded them to just go casual.
 
A last sunset - looking across to Silhouette Island
No one ever wears a collar and tie in the Seychelles from the President down. It was said that the Minister of Education who opened the conference on Monday had been embarrassed because there were so many delegates wearing suits despite clear instructions on the conference invitations. They were mainly Poms and the delegates from ex-British colonies. Some stuck resolutely to this wear throughout the conference although most were in casual gear. It was interesting to see some of the outfits worn by the delegates. The one I liked particularly was a suit worn by one of the blokes from West Africa which was cream embroidered lace. He was about my size and I was tempted to make him an offer!

The final dinner went off very well. The food was much the same as before but with a different flavour as it was a Creole evening. The curried octopus was particularly good. There was a troupe dancing the Creole dances and they were excellent. Some of the dances seemed very similar to hornpipes and reels, which may have reflected the British influence. I can still hear some of the music in my head – I really enjoyed it. I was sitting at a nice table with a couple of Swiss Re and Munich Re blokes so we had a good evening.

I got back to my room about 23.00 and finished packing. I also finally got around to writing the postcards which I had bought, complete with stamps on Monday to make sure I got them off.

No comments: